Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Potty Training

Well, I'm feeling that newfound burst of energy most teachers feel that first full week off of school. I've already cleaned the house, painted baseboards, pruned my crepe myrtles and created a large trash pile for Fort Worth bulk trash pick up. So, why not start potty training? It's something that's bothered me since Katie turned 2. I can't tell you how many disdainful looks I get when people find out that my child isn't potty trained, and I'm not trying. I have tried. Have you met that stubborn 2-year-old? "No Mommy, I just go in my diaper. I don't want to be a big girl." Yes, it's true, she has said that to me. I tried blackmailing with candy and stickers. I even told her she could have a baby brother or sister if she stopped wearing diapers.

In desperation, I downloaded an ebook on how to potty train your child in 3 days. Sounds good if you like living in lockdown mode for 3 days. You pretty much let the child play in underwear and watch like a hawk for an accident to occur then rush them to the toilet. I've spoken with my neighbor about this method and it traumatized her child...poor kiddo.

So, after much consideration, I've decided to be a little more aggressive but not psycho. Katie has to be trained by September or she can't be in the 3s class at preschool. Thank you everyone for the advice and prayers. Wish us luck. :)

1 comment:

  1. I keep hearing about people trying to potty train their kids and the majority haven't been successful until their kid is almost 3. Let me know how it goes, I will be crossing that glorious potty training bridge before I know it.

    ReplyDelete